VSA Michigan collaborates with school districts across the state to provide teaching artists who integrate dance, theater, visual arts, music, media, poetry and creative writing into the core curricula for students with disabilities.
VSAMI is currently engaging over 1,000 students, many of whom are severely disabled and are in the state's center-based programs, with hundreds of our highly skilled teaching artists. If you would like to host an artist-in-residence at your school contact VSA Michigan to discuss partnership opportunities.
The program involves:
- Planning meetings with VSA staff, teaching artists and school administration
- An initial workshop for participating classroom teachers and para-professionals
- Classroom observations by our teaching artists/arts therapists
- A series of arts sessions for students with disabilities that classroom teachers and para-professionals also attend.
- Debrief sessions between artists and teachers
- Culminating events to give students opportunities to demonstrate what they have learned
- Teaching artists to exhibit or perform their creative work
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A VSA MICHIGAN TEACHING ARTIST?
VSA Michigan is continuously seeking artists in all genre (dancers, actors, musicians, visual artists, poets, storytellers, filmmakers, puppeteers, etc.) who are interested sharing their talents with students who have disabilities throughout Michigan. Candidates will receive VSA's specialized training prior to placement.
Positions available for the 2019-20 school year.
For more information contact VSA Michigan.